A series of articles about configuration managment at the example of Ansible.
By using a configuration management tool, the procedure necessary for bringing up a new server or updating an existing one will be all documented in the provisioning scripts.
- Inventory stores information about your servers as INI file
- Playbook is the entry point for Ansible provisionings (imagine it as a set of tasks)
- Task defines a single procedure to be executed, e.g. updating the package cache
- Module typically is a abstraction of a system task (more generalized task?)
- Role is used to organize playbooks and other files for reuse
- Play names a complete provision process, from start to finish
- Facts are variables containing information about the system, e.g. OS, hostname etc.
- Handlers trigger service status changes
The following list of services should be configured and deployed automatically: